Gifts & Books
Recent blog posts
- Mamas Write Anthology
- Teaching Your Child To Meditate
- Talking With Other Adoptive Parents
- We Are Back
- My Niece The Swimmer
- Elephant Bird -- Some Thoughts on Adoption in Dr. Seuss
- Interview With Cooperative For Education
- At Long Last, My Daughter Sleeps In Her Own Bed
- New Years Resolution: Less Talk
- School, Stress And Stomach Aches
- Thank you Lisa! Our group is
1 week 15 hours ago
- Congratulations Jessica!
1 week 16 hours ago
- I also feel the need to talk
4 weeks 10 hours ago
- Thank you, Jessica. I also
10 weeks 1 day ago
- Great post!
10 weeks 3 days ago
- A milestone!
12 weeks 22 hours ago
- Thanks for your insightful
14 weeks 3 days ago
16 weeks 3 days ago
- This sounds like a wonderful
21 weeks 9 hours ago
- Thanks for sharing this
21 weeks 6 days ago
The Social Security Administration has posted the most popular baby names over the last 100 years. I thought it would be fun to explore some of those baby names over the next few weeks and see which baby names have stood the test of time. I have already covered some of those baby names, and I will add coverage of others as we explore the most popular baby names over the last 100 years.
The most popular baby name over the last 100 years is the baby name Mary, which I recently covered as a popular Christmas name. The baby name Mary ranked at #1 for 46 of the past 100 years. The baby name Michael was the second most popular baby name over the past 100 years, ranking #1 for 44 of the past 100 years. See Top 5 Names in Each of the Last 100 Years.
Here is a list of the baby girl names that ranked #1 over the past 100 years:
- Mary (#1 from 1910 through 1946; 1953 through 1961)
- Linda (#1 from 1947 through 1952)
- Lisa (#1 from 1962 through 1969)
- Jennifer (#1 from 1970 through 1984)
- Jessica (#1 from 1985 through 1990; 1993 through 1995)
- Ashley (#1 from 1991 through 1992)
- Emily (#1 from 1996 through 2007)
- Emma (#1 in 2008)
- Isabella (#1 in 2009)
Here is a list of the baby boy names that ranked #1 over the past 100 years:
- John (#1 from 1910 through 1923)
- Robert (#1 from 1924 through 1939; 1953)
- James (#1 from 1940 through 1952)
- Michael (#1 from 1954 through 1959; 1961 through 1998)
- David (#1 in 1960)
- Jacob (#1 from 1999 through 2009)
Adoption Under One Roof has researched many baby names for you and continues to add more baby names to the list each week. Click here to see a list of baby names that Adoption Under One Roof has covered on its site, including links to more information about each baby name. The baby names are divided by topic and gender. Some baby names might fall under more than one topic. All baby names that Adoption Under One Roof has discussed are also provided in alphabetical order so you can search for a name easily.
This list of baby names is updated frequently as more baby names are added to the site. Whether you are looking for a baby name that holds an adoption meaning or simply a baby name that sounds pretty, you can find it here.
Photo credit: Lynda Bernhardt